If you are getting ready to remodel your kitchen, you may be faced with choosing the right flooring for the space. In recent years, hardwood flooring is gaining traction as one of the most popular flooring upgrades that a homeowner can put in their home. The kitchen is not excluded from this. While hardwood flooring is not the most durable flooring for your kitchen, you can still have hardwood in the kitchen and enjoy it for years to come if you are somewhat careful to not allow standing water on it for long periods of time. Mike’s Custom Flooring is here to talk about hardwood flooring in the kitchen, and how to choose the right one.
Types of Hardwood Flooring for the Kitchen
There are two different types of wood flooring you can have installed in your kitchen, solid and engineered hardwood. Here is some info about each of those options.
– Solid: This flooring is comprised of planks that are cut from a single piece of solid wood. It can be installed prefinished or unfinished and is then stained and sealed once installed. It is susceptible to high levels of humidity and moisture so keep that in mind if you have lots of spills and water accidents in your kitchen.
– Engineered: This is a thin layer of hardwood on the top layer with several layers beneath it using cross-grain construction. This type of flooring is a bit more stable and can handle more humidity than solid hardwood flooring. This is a greener option as the layer of hardwood is quite a bit thinner.
Considerations for Choosing Hardwood Flooring in the Kitchen
There are many different aspects to choosing the right hardwood flooring for your space. Here are some of the top things that you should be considering while making the right choice.
– Hardwood Floor Species: The type of wood you choose for your flooring will help to determine how durable the floor will be. Harder woods like hickory, walnut and exotic hardwoods are going to be more durable than oak and cherry which are very common in wood flooring.
– Wood Floor Color: There are a variety of different colors you can choose for your hardwood floors. Just keep in mind that when you are putting it in your kitchen, when you choose extremes in both light and dark, spills and crumbs will show up easier.
– Hardwood Floor Texture: You can choose to have a smooth wood floor or many different textured options like hand scraped, chattering or wire brushed floors.
– Hardwood Flooring Width: Hardwood will also come in many different plank widths. Wide planked flooring is a more rustic appearance that is perfect for that farmhouse kitchen, while slimmer planks afford a more sleek, modern look.
Hardwood Floor Installation, Repair & More in Charles Town & Eastern Panhandle of Berkeley & Jefferson Counties in WV | Winchester & Frederick County | Round Hill & Loudoun County | Berryville & Clarke County | Herndon & Fairfax County VA
No matter what type of hardwood flooring you have chosen for your home, you can rely on the experts at Mike’s Custom Flooring to install it for you. We will ensure the job is done to perfection so you can enjoy it for years to come. Call us today!