DIY Hardwood Floor Sanding & Refinishing Mistakes to Avoid in Charles Town, WV so as Not to Have Drum Sander Chatter Marks

We all want to save money any way we can and it’s extremely satisfying to complete a home improvement project on our own. We might choose to refinish our hardwood floors ourselves, but is this a good idea? Refinishing hardwood floors is a lot harder than it looks. It’s a big job that takes time and opens a lot of room for mistakes. Even tiny mistakes can have a huge impact on the appearance of your floors. This can make them look bad or uneven and then you’re stuck with it or you’ll have to pay to have them repaired.

Important Tips When Sanding & Refinishing Hardwood Floors

1. Keep the sander moving at a steady speed to avoid chatter marks. Any new piece of equipment that you’re not used to using can be intimidating. A drum sander is a powerful tool because it removes all the old finish off your wood floor. A properly handled drum sander is a marvel, but improper use will damage your floor. One big mistake that many homeowners make with a drum sander is leaving it in one place for too long. This creates a dip in the floor that will be hard to see but will be easily felt when walking over it. The best way to use the drum sander is slowly and methodically and always keep the sander moving to avoid damaging the floor.
2. Cleaning Dust After Sanding. A typical drum sander is made to vacuum up about 90% of the dust it creates in the process of refinishing your floor. The other 10% will end up everywhere and anywhere. It’s very important to make sure all this dust gets picked up from all the surfaces it lands on because any dust left behind will be seen in the new finish on you floor. Dust removal also needs to be methodical. The areas all need to be cleaned and then cleaned again. Just a few specks of dust are all it takes to blemish a new finish applied to the sanded floor. Don’t forget Mike’s Custom Flooring offers dustless hardwood floor sanding and refinishing!
3. Allow the hardwood floor to dry completely. After a new finish has been applied to a floor it will be dry to the touch in about an hour or so. Many homeowners make the mistake in thinking that the finish has set completely. Moving around on a newly finished floor before it’s completely set can cause a lot of damage. The more time you give it to dry, the better. It’s best to wait at least a few days before you continue regular use like walking on it and moving things around. if you can wait a full week, it will be even better.

Hardwood Flooring Refinishing Services in Charles Town & Eastern Panhandle of Berkeley & Jefferson Counties in West Virginia | Winchester & Frederick County | Round Hill & Loudoun County | Fairfax County VA Homes & Businesses

Regardless of how long you’ve had your hardwood flooring, it will eventually get scratched and dull. The great thing about hardwood is that it can look like new again. It just needs to be refinished. Refinishing your hardwood floors is NOT a DIY project. It takes planning and preparation and you’ll need to purchase or rent a sander. Have it done correctly and avoid having to pay for repairs. Contact Mike’s Custom Flooring. We have all the tools and experience needed to have your hardwood floors looking like new again!

Call Now Button