Mike’s Custom Flooring installs luxury vinyl plank flooring in homes located in the Eastern Panhandle of Berkeley and Jefferson Counties in WV as well as Frederick, Loudoun and Fairfax Counties, VA. This vinyl option has many advantages with the versatility, durability, and resistance it offers. Maintenance and care are relatively easy when compared to other options as well. Today, we at Mike’s Custom Flooring would like to take the opportunity to share some advice on the care and maintenance of your vinyl plank flooring to ensure to maximize its beauty, longevity, and overall condition.
Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring Preventive Maintenance
Though luxury vinyl plank flooring is durable and resistant to many elements, it still has some vulnerabilities. Take note of the following steps below to prevent wear or expediting deterioration.
1) To minimize the contaminates being tracked on your vinyl floor, such as dirt, grit, sand, and other substances such as oil, asphalt, and driveway sealer (and use a latex-based drive-way sealer ot significantly reduce the risk of potential staining), place an exterior doormat on the outside of each entrance and a non-staining mat on the inside of the door.
2) Through windows where direct sunlight shines in onto your vinyl floor, ensure the curtains and blinds are closed and consider investing in UV film protection for the windows. The UV rays and heat can cause discoloration or fading effects.
3) Invest in wide-bearing, non-staining floor protectors to support the furniture. These protectors are made of non-pigmented, hard plastic, and should be at least one inch in diameter; resting flat on the floor’s surface. Felt protectors, non-staining, are also applicable.
4) In the event you need to move heavy appliances or furniture, such as a refrigerator for example, across the vinyl floor, be sure to always use strips of wood or hardboard runways to protect the floor, even if you are using a dolly or the appliances/furniture are equipped with wheels.
Luxury Vinyl Plank Floor Care After Installation
No matter what floor you use, spills happen, debris is tracked in, dust and dander settle, and the floor will need maintenance to keep them looking like new. Initial maintenance following installation:
1) If adhesive was used in the method of installing the vinyl flooring, keep the foot-traffic to a minimum for 24 hours, or according to the recommendation of the installer, to ensure the adhesive dries efficiently. If the floor was seamed, for 24 hours, avoid stepping on the seams so it can dry undisturbed.
2) For at least 3 days after the installation, avoid scrubbing or washing the floor and only spot clean as needed, avoid the seams.
3) Use wood or hardboard runways to protect the floor when replacing the heavy furnishings or appliances.
Daily/weekly routine Maintenance:
1) At least once a week, sweep up the floor to remove the loose dirt; more often is optimal.
2) Prevent staining by promptly wiping up spills with a damp cloth.
3) When mopping the floor, use warm damp water or an approved vinyl floor cleaner as soap and other cleaners will leave behind a film or can be too harsh.