In your Eastern Panhandle of Berkeley and Jefferson Counties in WV as well as Frederick, Loudoun and Fairfax Counties, VA home, Mike’s Custom Flooring can easily install luxury vinyl plank flooring. With the durability, versatility, and resistance it offers, this vinyl option has many advantages. When compared to other options, maintenance and care are relatively easy as well. To ensure you maximize the beauty, longevity, and overall condition of your vinyl plank flooring, we at Mike’s Custom Flooring would like to take the opportunity share some advice on the care and maintenance of your vinyl plank flooring today.
How to Extend Lifespan of Vinyl Plank Flooring
It still has some vulnerabilities, though luxury vinyl plank flooring is durable and resistant to many elements. In order to prevent wear or expediting deterioration, take note of the following steps below.
1) Place an exterior doormat on the outside of each entrance and a non-staining mat on the inside of the door and use a latex-based drive-way sealer to significantly reduce the risk of potential staining to minimize the contaminates being tracked on your vinyl floor, such as dirt, grit, sand, and other substances such as oil, asphalt, and driveway sealer.
2) Ensure the curtains and blinds are closed and consider investing in UV film protection for the windows through windows where direct sunlight shines in onto your vinyl floor. Discoloration or fading effects can be caused by rays and heat.
3) In order to support the furniture, invest in wide-bearing, non-staining floor protectors. Resting flat on the floor’s surface, these protectors are made of non-pigmented, hard plastic, and should be at least one inch in diameter. Also useable are felt protectors and non-staining.
4) Be sure to always use strips of wood or hardboard runways to protect the floor, even if you are using a dolly or the appliances/furniture are equipped with wheels in the event you need to move heavy appliances or furniture, such as a refrigerator for example, across the vinyl floor.
What is the Best Way to Care for Luxury Vinyl Plank Floors?
To keep them looking like new, no matter what floor you use, spills happen, debris is tracked in, dust and dander settle, and the floor will need maintenance.
Initial Care After Installation
1) To ensure the adhesive dries efficiently, if adhesive was used in the method of installing the vinyl flooring, keep the foot-traffic to a minimum for 24 hours, or according to the recommendation of the installer. Avoid stepping on the seams so it can dry undisturbed if the floor was seamed, for 24 hours.
2) Stay away from scrubbing or washing the floor and only spot clean as needed, avoid the seams for least 3 days after the installation.
3) When replacing the heavy furnishings or appliances, use wood or hardboard runways to protect the floor.
Routine Daily/weekly Maintenance
1) Sweep up the floor to remove the loose dirt; more often is optimal at least once a week.
2) With a damp cloth, prevent staining by promptly wiping up spills.
3) Use warm damp water or an approved vinyl floor cleaner as soap and other cleaners will leave behind a film or can be too harsh when mopping the floor.