There are countless options when it comes to choosing the right flooring for your home. From the variations of carpets or polished concrete, to natural and manmade tile and grout and of course the assortment of hardwood flooring. With so many options, it often leaves people scratching their heads when they decide on the most optimal option for them. When it comes to choosing hardwood flooring, there are countless options that many people don’t even realize are available. Cork flooring is among the choice you have when you desire wood flooring. With that in mind, we at Mike’s Custom Flooring would like to take the opportunity to discuss the benefits of cork flooring for your consideration.
How is Cork Harvested & Flooring Made?
Harvested from the bark of cork oak trees, cork flooring consists of natural and renewable materials. Because of its sustained durability, an increased selection of looks, as well as the eco-friendly aspect, cork flooring has experienced an uptrend in popularity in the U.S. in recent years.
Advantages of Cork Flooring
Below are just a few examples of the benefits that cork flooring offers as a viable option for your home.
1) Comfort: Allowing for some give when under pressure, cork flooring is easier on your feet. Leading to a warmer home, cork flooring contains more insulation as well. For those living in the colder realms, this is an especially beneficial gain.
2) Durability: As cork flooring holds up exceptionally against liquids, it also resists cracking and abrasions. Indent marks from furniture is easily avoided because the cork has the ability to retain its pristine form when furniture has been placed on it. If properly maintained and care for, cork flooring can potentially last a lifetime.
3) Health: Cork is a healthier choice due to its natural resistance to mold, mildew, and is considered an antimicrobial. Since cork flooring doesn’t shed any microfibers like other floor covers that provides the warmth for your feet, it also coincidentally improves the indoor air quality of your home.
4) Practicality: Lasting far longer than other comfort materials such as carpet for example, the pattern and color of cork are able to penetrate the wear on the material, retaining the floors durability and appearance. Additionally, cork impacts the ecosystem is considerably less on the environment. Cork generates little to no waste and the leftover materials are constantly being reused and bound together during the manufacturing process. Used for producing cork floors, Cork Oak Trees do not need to be cut down to harvest the bark
5) Safety: At incredibly high temperatures, cork will only melt or ignite. In comparison to composite flooring options such as vinyl or laminate, cork generates less smoke and releases far less toxic material in the event of combustion.
6) Variety: Offering different styles, colors, and sizes in the tiles and planks, cork offers variety. While tile can provide an incredible unique look by having alternative colors and patterns, the cork planks can now create a seamless looking floor; breaking from the once exclusive availability of bulletin board style.
Hardwood Floor Refinishing & More in Charles Town & Eastern Panhandle of Berkeley & Jefferson Counties in WV | Winchester & Frederick County | Round Hill & Loudoun County | Berryville & Clarke County | Herndon & Fairfax County VA
If you are interested in installing cork wood flooring in your Virginia home, call in the experts of Mike’s Custom Flooring for a professional installation to ensure the overall efficiency of your flooring.